Is There A Ghost Lurking In Your Toilet?
Do you suspect some sort of paranormal activity occurring inside your toilet? There are occasions when you hear that the toilet is flushing on its own without anyone pulling the lever. This can be eerie particularly if it happens at midnight and everyone is sound asleep. Is it possible that there is a ghost haunting your toilet?
Before you seek the services of paranormal experts, why don’t give the plumber a call? The most likely answer for ghost flushing is that water has been leaking out of the toilet tank for a long period of time without you noticing the situation. Once the water is low enough, there is a tendency for the float to activate the fill valve so that the tank refills and creates the sound of a mysterious flush. There are also instances when ghost flushing is due to a deteriorated flapper that is allowing the water in the tank to leak into the toilet bowl.
If you will call the plumber, a leak test will be performed. A few drops of dye will be placed on the toilet tank. If there is a leak, you will find colored water in the bowl after a certain period of time has elapsed. To fix the leak, the deteriorated flapper will be replaced. In most cases, replacing a flapper is a simple DIY task.
- Turn off the water in the toilet by shutting off the valve.
- Flush until the toilet is empty of water.
- Remove the flapper by detaching it from the chain and extracting it from the ears of the overflow tube.
- Attach the new flapper to the ears of the overflow tube and then to the chain. Make sure that is just enough slack to create a water-tight seal.
- Turn on the water supply and allow the tank to fill.
If the task of fixing a flapper is not your thing, Richards Plumbing Services is just a phone call away. Hiring the services of a professional plumber can be a better option because the leak can be checked thoroughly. If there is a need for repair, you will be advised immediately so that you won’t need to fear a ghost lurking in your toilet.